Manager Nursing - Med-Surg/Peds
Requisition #: req1557
FTE status: 1
The Nursing Manager will have clinical and administrative line responsibility for management of assigned clinical areas. This responsibility includes administration, collaboration, and coordination of department activities among all hospital departments and the medical staff, planning, directing and evaluating of services to ensure safe and competent care to patients.
- Registered Nurse with current license to practice nursing in the State of Michigan.
- B.S. required. Masters degree preferred.
- Progressively responsible and successful assignments in nursing, knowledgeable of current trends and practices in patient care; demonstrated abilities in leadership skills, interpersonal communication and teaching.
- Minimum of five years experience in hospital clinical nursing.
- Current clinical expertise and knowledge base in the clinical area being considered.
- Statistical and systems analysis helpful.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS/CPR) certification required.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Administrative Management
- Promotes the institutional philosophy, goals, objectives and participates in the development, implementation and monitoring of annual department goals and objectives.
- Participates in the development and implementation of hospital and nursing policies and standards.
- Facilitates and ensures the development, implementation, evaluation and updating of standards of practice for assigned clinical areas.
- Participates in defining the functions and qualifications for all nursing department positions.
- Participates in monitoring departmental productivity and effectiveness.
- Demonstrates principles of Continuing Improvement in achieving departmental and hospital goals and objectives.
- Serves as a liaison to other departments, administration and the medical staff to facilitate information sharing and problem solving.
- Participates in planning and implementing new programs and marketing approaches for nursing services and/or institution.
- Participates as a chairperson or member of various nursing and hospital committees.
- Participates in planning, implementing, and evaluating healthcare delivery system.
- Participates in developing and evaluating management information systems for the nursing services.
- Recommends appointments to other administrative positions as appropriate.
- Operational Management
- Establishes a system to ensure documentation of divisional activities, policies, procedures and protocols.
- Assures all records meet or exceed the requirements of HFAP, state and federal regulatory and reimbursement agencies.
- Quality Management
- Implements a divisional quality monitoring system.
- Interviews, hires, supervise and evaluate assigned personnel.
- Facilitate the development of professional nursing staff through mentoring and role modeling.
- Monitors and reviews unit objectives regularly.
- Assists Clinical Nurse Specialist to assess divisional staff education needs and oversees the planning of appropriate orientation and continuing education programs.
- Establishes a system for communication and problem solving among nursing leadership (Clinical Coordinators, Supervisors and Clinical Nurse Specialists) to assure continuity of patient care.
- Works with nursing staff to determine and maintain appropriate staffing levels for the division.
- Plans, implements and evaluates operating budget for department(s).
- Functions as a role model in his/her specialty, demonstrates competency in clinical judgments, selected technical skills, and appropriate knowledge base.
- Provides clinical direction to staff and evaluates the level of care provided by nursing staff.
- Demonstrates clinical expertise in execution of the nursing process and directs staff in its application.
- Policy: Demonstrates awareness of hospital and department policies, participates in their development as appropriate, and uses them as a basis for decision-making.
- Communication: Develops and maintains effective communication mechanisms on the unit with staff, physicians, patients/significant others, and between the unit and other departments.
- Participates in the development of criteria based job descriptions as directed and in the writing of performance standards for employees in the assigned area.
- Assists in the development and maintenance of standards in the assigned areas directed at defining unit function, staff performance and patient care activities.
- Working Relationships: Develops and maintains effective working relationships with all members of the health team in the hospital and in the community.
- Professional Activities
- Participates in and presents at seminars and educational programs.
- Acts as a preceptor to selected students.
- Participates in professional nursing organizations.
- Promotes and participates in nursing studies and research.
- Keeps current on issues, practices and new trends related to healthcare and the practice of nursing healthcare administration.