MA - Medical Assistant - Community Clinic * Days - Resource
Requisition #: req141
FTE status: 0
The clinical support associate is an allied health professional and member of the health care team who performs clerical and clinical duties for the delivery of quality health care services in an ambulatory setting.
- Certified or Registered as a Medical Assistant
- Completion of a Medical Assistant program
- BLS certification
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Phone, scheduling patients and related duties:
- EPIC trained and certified
- Review & print MICR reports for all children 0-19 years.
- Review medical record prior to patient appointment assuring availability of needed reports.
- Obtain pertinent history, reason for visit, minimum 6 of 8 vital signs, other diagnostic related information, and smoking history.
- Alert physician of deviations from normal.
- Secure EPIC screen upon exiting the room.
- Assist with examinations, procedures and treatments as necessary.
- Prepare and administer medications as ordered by licensed staff and in accordance with the 5R’s of administration and document appropriately.
- Adhere to CLIA requirements.
- Collect ordered specimens, label, document, and properly store laboratory specimens for pick-up
- Access and complete M.A. EPIC in box daily.
Participates and works effectively as a team member
- Schedule patients in accordance with department guidelines.
- Identify patient by: Date of birth, name, and third identifier when necessary.
- When scheduling appointment verify insurance through CHAMPS or WEB Denis, patient demographics (current phone number). When able assign family members to same PCP.
- Schedule office procedures.
- Provide patient with written instruction/preparation information for ancillary tests and procedures when indicated.
- Arrange for translation services according to policy.
- Greet patients, visitors, and staff, determine needs and provide appropriate direction.
- Answer phone in a timely, pleasant manner including, name, title, and area.
- Document in EPIC complete/concise message and route information to appropriate individual.
- Use paging system according to policy.
- Respond to emergency calls appropriately.
Referral Functions (if applicable):
- Attend and participate in all mandatory meetings, in-services, and staff meetings.
- Complete required Corporate Compliance / HIPAA education.
- Is knowledgeable with hospital and departmental policies/procedures and participates in revising as requested.
- Make suggestions and recommendations for improvements.
- Flexible in the provision of assistance to other areas and/or performing job duties as assigned
- Collaborate, communicate well, and develop & support team building.
- Schedules and coordinates specialist appointments, procedures and tests done internally or externally.
- Provide accurate documentation and records keeping on referrals and authorizations.
- Relay and/or reviews referral information in a timely fashion with appropriate clinical areas, physicians, physician office and patients.
- Monitor guidelines for authorizations and referrals according to payer requirements.
- Assist physician with referring patient “in network” with patient’s insurance company.
- Ensures proper insurance authorizations are processed within 48 hours.
- Ensures the physician provides necessary medical and patient information to the referral specialist prior to appointment.
- Communicates and collaborates with other members of the health care team to ensure continuity and coordination of services.
- Interacts with providers when determining referral alternatives.
- Provides ICD-9 CM coding on referrals, as needed.
- Identifies and addresses referral issues as they arise.
Knowledge and competence requirements:
- Follows OSHA guidelines and Infection Control policies at all times.
- Rooms and work areas kept clean, orderly, and stocked.
- Cleans exam tables between each patient.
- Performs control testing according to policy on all applicable equipment
Service and Communication
- Participates in ERT annual drill
- Maintains competency in medication/vaccination administration, procedures, and equipment use/maintenance.
- Attend and participate in mandatory staff meetings.
- Updates knowledge by attending mandatory education.
- Maintains current BLS card.
- Strives for continuous personal and professional development, e.g. keeps a reading log
- Demonstrates the behaviors of safety awareness in all aspects of work
- Communicates effectively and positively with patients and staff.
- Maintains confidentiality/privacy at all times.
- Verbal and non-verbal communication demonstrates empathy and concern.
- Is a role model for team members.
- Treats other with dignity and respect.
- Identifies and acts upon actual/perceived customer problems, issues, and/or complaints.
Category: Health Care